Massage: The unknown factsDecember 9, 2022
From Stress Relief to Injury Prevention: The Top Reasons You Need a Massage TherapistDecember 21, 2022
Different types of massages are available, each providing its unique benefits. While some focus on relaxation, others may be better suited to address pain or tension. Learn more about the various massage types so that you can decide which is right for you.
- Swedish Massage: This type of massage can help relieve tension in your muscles, and it’s the ideal choice if you want to feel completely relaxed. For this massage, you’ll need to take all your clothes off – though you may choose to keep your underwear on. You’ll be given a sheet to cover yourself with while lying on the massage table. The therapist will only uncover areas they are actively working on during the massage. The massage therapist will use a combination of:
- long, flowing strokes in the direction of the heart
- deep circular motions
- vibration and tapping
- passive joint movement techniques
Usually, a Swedish massage will last 60 to 90 minutes.
- Hot Stone massage: Hot stone massage is best for people who have muscle pain and tension or who simply want to relax.
This type of therapeutic massage is similar to a Swedish massage, only the massage therapist uses heated stones in addition to their hands.
Hot stone massage may help:
- ease muscle tension
- improve blood flow
- alleviate pain
- promote relaxation
- relieve stress
A hot stone massage uses heated stones placed on various points of the body. Your therapist may hold a stone as they use Swedish massage techniques to rub different areas of your body with gentle pressure. Sometimes, cold stones are also used in the process.
You don’t wear clothes for a hot stone massage unless you’d prefer to wear your underwear. You’ll be covered with a sheet.
Usually, the massage is 90 minutes long.
- Thai Massage: Thai massage is best for people who want a more active form of massage and want to reduce and relieve pain and stress. It can also help improve:
- energy levels
Thai massage works the entire body using a sequence of movements that are similar to yogic stretching. Your therapist will use their palms and fingers to apply firm pressure to your body. You’ll also be stretched and twisted into various positions.
You can wear loose, comfortable clothing during the massage.
A Thai massage lasts 60 to 90 minutes.
- Aromatherapy massage: With an aromatherapy massage, you not only get the benefits of a traditional massage, but also the bonus of essential oils. Your therapist will usually choose which oils to use based on what they think would work best for you. However, if you have any specific preferences, be sure to let them know. The oil is diluted before being applied so that it is gentle on your skin. Aromatherapy massages are best for people who enjoy the scent and want to have an emotional healing component to their massage.This type of massage can help:
- boost your mood
- reduce stress and anxiety
- reduce symptoms of depression
- relieve muscle tension
- relieve pain
Sometimes, an aromatherapy massage will only focus on your back, shoulders, and head. You won’t wear any clothing, but underwear is optional.
An aromatherapy massage is 60 to 90 minutes.
- Deep tissue massage: A deep tissue massage uses slow strokes and deep finger pressure to relieve tension from the deepest layers of your muscles and connective tissues. You can be naked or wear your underwear during this massage. Deep Tissue massage It’s a good option if you have muscle problems, such as:
- chronic muscle pain
By trying different types of massages and massage therapists, you may be able to feel better physically, mentally, and emotionally.