What is a Swedish Massage?December 1, 2022
Spa Day Organic Massage: Why We’re the Best in the BusinessDecember 7, 2022
There are many benefits to Thai massage, and below we will explore five of them that scientific studies have backed.
- Relieves Headaches: Small studies conducted on patients with chronic headaches found that Thai massage reduced the intensity of migraineTrusted Source and tension headaches. If you’re looking for non pharmaceutical solutions for headache relief, researchers have concluded that the benefits of Thai massage could last up to 15 weeks.
- Helps with Back Pain: Thai massage may effectively reduce back pain without medication. In Thailand, researchers studied the effects of Thai massage on 120 people with nonspecific low back pain. Half received Thai massage and half received other conservative management techniques that included joint mobilization (a method that involves applying pressure), hot packs, and manual stretching to painful areas. After 4 weeks of treatment twice a week, both groups had significant pain relief. Studies have found that Thai massage can reduce back pain trigger points in the upper back as well.
- Relieves Joint Pain: Thai massage has the potential to alleviate joint pain and stiffness, according to recent studies. In one study, a group of people with knee arthritis participated in an 8-week program that included Thai massage and wand exercises. The results showed that the participants felt less pain and could walk more easily after the program. Another study involving 60 patients with osteoarthritis of the knee found that 3 weeks of Thai massage was just as effective as taking ibuprofen for 3 weeks.
- Increases Flexibility: An experiment was conducted with 34 soccer players to test how Thai Massage affects athletic performance. The conclusion showed that after receiving Thai Massage 3 times in 10 days, the graph of the ability to do sit and reach exercises had significant improvement. Researchers hypothesize that the increase in flexibility is due to Thai massage’s ability to improve blood flow and oxygen supply to muscles. This, as a result, may help reduce pain and decrease muscle adhesions. Furthermore, the researchers discovered that agility and speed were increased in players who received Thai massage treatments before playing.
- Reduces Anxiety and Stress: Thai massage is unique in that it is one of the only forms of massage therapy shown to decrease anxiety and increase a systemic feeling of calm. StudiesTrusted Source has found people who receive Thai massages test lower on measures of psychological stress following treatment, while brain scans showed more relaxation in those who received Thai massages as compared to those who underwent physical therapy treatments for similar conditions.
Ancient Thai massage practices have many benefits that are reinforced by modern science. It can help to reduce the severity of headaches, decrease lower back and joint pain, increase flexibility, calm anxieties, and energize your mind and body. Thai massage is an interactive treatment where your practitioner will move you through a series of gradual yoga-like positions. In addition, they will work on the tension in your muscles. Before having a Thai Massage, it’s important to consult with your doctor if this traditional form of massage is safe for you, as it may not be suitable for everyone due to underlying health conditions.